Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

IIS6 - App Switched from 2.0 to 4.0 Web Service Issue - Service Unavailable

Hello all,

I created a new app pool and the 4.0 framework is set to allowed.  The site I have works fine but when I get the ASMX web service I get a Service Unavailable error.  I looked at the web service folder and that folder the ASPNET tab is greyed out showing 2.0 framework but all the other folders show the 4.0 framework under the ASPNET tab.  What do I need to do to get this to work for the web service?
Asked by: sbornstein2 

My Suggestion : -
1) Run this command from the path
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319>aspnet_regiis -lk
And see if the website identity is showing in this list ..
2) Please verify if .Net is allowed under web services extensions
3) Please verify if Network Services have access to the root directory of the application.

sbornstein2 : -  couple of things:

- In IIS6, how do you set the App Pool to a framework?  I could not see that option only the tab under the virtual directory properties itself and yes I changed that to the 4.0 framework.   Like I mentioned though all the subdirectories are showing 4.0 but the web service directory is still showing 2.0 and greyed out.

- .Net 4.0 is allowed under the web extensions in IIS.

- Network Services does have access to the root.  If I switch the ASPNET tab back to 2.0 the web service ASMX when I browse to it does come up, however when I switch it back to 4.0 then I get the Service Unavailable.  I am pretty sure it is because the web service folder is showing 2.0 greyed out and 4.0 for the rest of the site.    In the event log it shows:

"It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process. Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure your server to run the application in a separate process."

However, I created a brand new App Pool just devoted to this virtual so no other processes should be using this app pool.

My Suggestion : -
On CMD, go to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\F
ramework\v4.0.30319
Run >> aspnet_regiis -s (site path)
You can run " aspnet_regiis -lk " command to know the website path...

**Given solution are only for my record purpose, Please use them on your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment